Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Sinigang Na Baboy (Pork with Vegetables in Tamarind Sour Soup) Revisited


























 








Here is the recipe again. I'm going to list the complete ingredients that should go into the dish.

Ingredients:

2.5 pounds pork ribs, pork belly, or a combination of the cuts of pork. Some like lean or fatty combo. Cut in 1.5 inch cubes and 2-3 inch rib cuts. Rinse thoroughly, drain and set aside.
5 cups water
2 cloves garlic crushed, and minced fine
2 bay leaves ripped in quarters.
1 inch ginger root sliced in half and crushed. do not peel.
1 large tomatoes sliced
1 large onion sliced
fish sauce (patis) to taste
4-6 pieces of araimo/daisheen (japanese small taro root) peel and cut into 2 inch cubes
1 medium size white radish (daikon) peel and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
8-12 pieces of okra, cut tops and tips off. Cut into 3 inch sections if large. Leave whole if you want to. Rinse thoroughly and soak in water to prevent browning. Drain before adding to pot.
6 pieces of Filipino sweet chili pepper
1 pound bunch of swamp cabbage (ong choy, ong choi, kangkong) Rinse thoroughly and drain. Cut into 3-4 inch sections from stems to leaves. Trim off hard end stem and discard.
3 packets of Mama Sita's Sinigang Soup mix or similar brand such as Knorr's. You may add more packets if you want it more sour. (my mom loves it real sour!)
fresh cracked black pepper to taste.

Directions:
Place pork and water in pot and bring to a fast boil. Drain out dirty water and rinse pieces of pork under running water. Clean pot of any scummy residue from the boil. Add drained rinsed pork into clean pot and cover with clean water. Bring to a boil then simmer til pork is tender. Usually takes about 45-60 minute on a nice simmer to get it tender. I used my pressure cooker and cooked it at 15psi for 10 minutes. Cheat yah?? lol but fast! :)

After pork is tender, add sinigang soup powder mix to simmering broth. Add garlic, ginger, onion, and tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add taro root (araimo) and radish (daikon). Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes. Add ong choy, okra, sweet chili peppers. Cover pot and simmer til vegetables are wilted and hard veggies such as the taro and daikon are fork tender. Add about 2-3 Tbsp of patis (fish sauce) to taste. Add fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
Serve with steamed white rice.

Yields about 4-6 servings.















16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Nice to have you back and glad you're alive and kicking. Nice new format.
That looks so tasty and warming on these stormy winter nights and days these past few days. -lance

Anonymous said...

That photo looks really appetizing. I'll try your recipe next time. As a Kapampangan, I never cook sinigang with garlic, ginger, and okra. I'll see what my dish tastes like next time I add these ingredients. The okra sure adds some green color to the dish, doesn't it? Thnaks for sharing your version of this lovely, lovely Pinoy dish!

reid said...

Reggie,

OMG, you're back! I haven't eaten sinigang in a while and this looks ONO!

Jenny said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work but looks oh so comforting! Your wife is very lucky! :D

z said...

your blog just makes my mouth water. i've tried your vietnamese pork chops recipe and it was a HUGE hit. i should have looked on your site for a paksiw recipe, but i didn't and wasted a really good lechon. naksnaman, next time. good to see you back and the sinigang reminds me of my dad's.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks very nice! I wish I had it at front of me right now!!

Anonymous said...

omg, you just made my mouth water. I've been wanting some sinigang :)

Anonymous said...

I was so pleased to see a Filipino dish after several blog searching... that was really sweet!

I am trying my best to learn how to prepare (decent meals :-) thanks for sharing your ideas. Busby SEO challenge

KabonFootPrint

Anonymous said...

My favorite meal! I love sinigang!Welcome back bro!

Anonymous said...

It's looking very Delicious!
IBuy Barbeques

Unknown said...

hey regie,

that looks good, but you know i can cook just like that... you know who this is....

email me @ justmesammy808@gmail.com

talk to you soo!

Caleb said...

I found your food blog going through a few links. Glad I ran into it. Didn’t know that the food blog/recipe community was so big online. I love your posts!

I was wondering if you would like to exchange links. I’ll drop yours on my site and you drop mine on yours. Email at ramendays@yahoo.com or stop by my site and drop a comment. Let me know if you would like to do a link exchange.

Cheers,
Caleb
http://www.ramendays.com

P.S. Glad to see a fellow Filipino food blogger.

Sorin said...

Very Very visually appealing…great presentation

Christine said...

I love sinigang na baboy too. But I love it with pork ribs (buto-buto) and the soup thickened with mashed gabi or ...what's the english term for gabi?
If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

Rebecca said...

Looks fabulous!!

Rebecca said...

Looks yummy!