1 whole chicken or 6-10 chicken thighs, cut into pieces.
1-2 young green papaya or sayote, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks or cubes.
4-6 inches ginger, crushed and sliced into strips
1/2 cup dahon ng sili (chili leaves) or malunggay leaves, or ampalaya (paria) leaves
1-2 cups water
1-2 bay leaves
6-8 garlic cloves, crushed, peeled and minced
1 yellow or white onion, diced
4 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons patis (fish sauce) or to taste
fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- In a stock pot, heat oil and sauté garlic, onion, bay leaves, and ginger.
- Add chicken pieces and brown evenly.
- Add enough water to cover chicken.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is almost done.
- Season with patis and black pepper.
- Add papaya and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until papaya softens but not overcooked.
- Add sili leaves then turn off the heat.
Serve steaming hot on a bowl with plain rice on the side.
Enjoy masarap yan!!