Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Spicy Hot Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks

BUFFALO DRUMSTIX 07JUN06 001

BUFFALO DRUMSTIX 07JUN06 005

My wife wanted drumsticks instead of wings if you're wondering...

:)

I haven't taken my wife to Hooter's yet and try their signature Buffalo Wings here in Hawaii but all my friends rave about how delicious the hotwings there are and as a gauge of authenticity. Another place here on Oahu is called Dirty Lickins and is supposed to be the most authentic buffallo wings you can find on the island. I bought my wife a few 15-piece plates a few months ago and from the very first taste she was hooked! I researched many variations of this recipe I came down with one that had all the ingredients in my kitchen pantry which made it easy.

Ingredients:

Enough Canola, vegetable, or corn oil for deep frying. Shortening may also be used.
40 chicken wings, and/or drummettes or 15 chicken drumsticks
2 teaspoons coarse kosher, Hawaiian rock, or sea salt

Dry Mixture
2 cups flour 1 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper (hot!)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon MSG (optional)

Spicy Sauce

1 cup butter or margarine (low fat ok)
1 cup Tabasco sauce (more if you want more heat)
2 Tbsp white vinegar (more if you want more tang)
1 Tbsp Hunt's tomato ketchup (more for color)

Instructions:


  • Thaw frozen chicken pieces and soak in fresh water. Refresh water after thawed and add salt to create your salt brining solution. Soak chicken in brine for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes drain in colander and do not rinse.
  • Mix dry mixture ingredients in a mixing bowl with a wire wisk till blended well set aside.
  • Heat oil in large deep frying pan or wok to 350 degrees F. Dredge each chicken piece in dry mixture, shake excess flour off and add to hot oil one at a time. Be careful not to overcrowd the frying pan/wok. I fried the 15 drumsticks in 2 batches. Cook chicken for 15 minutes till golden brown and crisp.
  • Drain pieces on paper towels. While chicken is frying, bring the spicy sauce ingredients to a nice simmer in a big saucepan. Mix well with wire wisk. Bring about a consistency of Hollandaise sauce. The saucepan or wok should be large enough to fit all the fried chicken pieces.
  • Incorporate fried chicken into simmering sauce and coat evenly by tossing the pieces in the saucepan or wok. Ready to serve.
  • Serve with bleu cheese or ranch dressing and celery sticks to make a definite pupu platter winner!!
    Enjoy!! My wife did! Let's kaukau! :)

2 comments:

Reggie Nelmida said...

sorry guys, i had to repost this recipe. blogger is having problems posting my original pix so flickr has to do.

reggie

Anonymous said...

I gave this recipe a try except for the sauce because I like dry hot wings like the ones at KFC...anyways, everything came out as planned except there wasn't enough salt taste. I think next time I'm going to substitute the garlic powder with garlic salt. I think it didn't have a salt taste because of the lack of MSG which people rarely use nowadays in cooking. Any other suggestions? I actually doubled the spices but kept the same amount of flour for 30 pieces of wings and drummettes.