Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Buttermilk Fried Chicken















Over the past weeks I've been having an obsession with fried chicken. My wife sparked it again with her craving for Zippy's Fried Chicken and Zippy's Signature Chili combination plate. I've always had an obsession with making the closest recipe to KFC Original Recipe Fried Chicken and or Zippy's Fried Chicken which is a long time favorite among the local Hawaiian residents. There are many fried chicken recipes on the internet especially for KFC Chicken. I've tried my share in the past when I started to learn more about cooking while growing up. Tonight for dinner I made Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix. I was prompted to make this recipe because I didn't have any flour or cornstarch in the cupboard except for a big bag of instant buttermilk pancake mix. They had other variations of this recipe which used just the water and the pancake mix. I opted not to add water and instead used the mix as a flour dredge. I might add it came out pretty well with the addition of Mrs. Dash Original Spice Blend. Here is the recipe.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

Ingredients:

1 3-4 lb whole fresh fryer chicken, cut up in pieces for frying
2 cups Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix
2 Tbsp Hawaiian rock sea salt or kosher rock salt
1 tsp MSG (optional)
Dash fresh cracked black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Original Spice Blend
canola oil for frying

Instructions:

Cut up whole chicken in pieces and rinse in cold water and drain in strainer. Put pieces in mixing bowl add sea salt and cover with warm tap water. Mix and soak for 10 minutes. Drain from brine and set aside. In another mixing bowl add pancake mix, pepper, Mrs. Dash spices, MSG, and pepper. Mix by hand dry ingredients until blended well. Add pieces of chicken meat to dredge in pancake mix. Coat pieces evenly all over and shake off excess flour mixture. The warm brine will make dry ingredients adhere to chicken. Set dredged pieces on a cookie sheet to rest while you heat a frying pan or wok with canola oil. Add enough oil to about 3 inches deep. Oil should be about 375 degrees F. Fry chicken in 2 batches and do not overcrowd wok or the temperature will drop and the chicken will soak up the oil. Each batch takes approximately 15 minutes to cook. Turn pieces with thongs or chopsticks to cook chicken evenly on both sides. Chicken pieces will brown and crisp nicely. Drain chicken on paper towels and cool before serving.

Serves 4













Easy fried chicken with instant pancake mix!

My wife ate her chicken with brown rice and buttered corn niblets. The Colonel would've been proud! lol :)















Enjoy!! :)

6 comments:

jai said...

awww!!!...sounds yummie!!!....your blog makes my tummie grumble!!!...i guess i better get out of here before i lose my sanity!!!....am soo hungrie!!!.....

Anonymous said...

They sure look delicious. I've heard that Zippy's no longer broast their chicken. How true, I'm not sure. Haven't eating their fried chicken for awhile. Have they changed? You've got to try Spot's Drive-Inn boasted chicken. Good stuff. While you're there, try their New York steak. Winnas.........best yet. That is steaks in their price range of $8.00 - lance

dexiejane said...

great idea on using pancake mix. i think i'll try that. looks really good :)

Anonymous said...

The recipe looks good! I will have to try it soon. Cool blog, by the way!!

nyjennybee said...

I tried frying chicken with aunt jemima's pancake mix. I just washed my chicken, dipped it in the mix and fried it. Any suggestions on how I could've spiced it up without making it more complicated???

Miss Khan said...

Wow Looks Crispy. i will try this recipe...Thank You for Sharing