Thursday, August 18, 2005

Paksiw Na Lechon (Roast Pork Stew)

Today I got a call from my sister-in-law Aileen at work. She asked me for a favor which was to make Paksiw Na Lechon for her since she bought a lechon roasted pig head from Mang Gorio's Lechon shop at 99 Ranch food court. I told her ok and that I would cook it and drop it off at their place before picking up my wife from her classes tonight. It was a easy dish to make since I had all of the ingredients at hand.

Here is picture of the Lechon Pig Head.




















This dish is always made after a filipino celebration such as a birthday party or a holiday like Christmas. Paksiw Na Lechon is the leftover roasted pig stewed in a sweet sour vinegary sauce. It can stretch leftovers of the pork a few days or frozen to be microwaved as a convenience meal. Here is the recipe.

Paksiw Na Lechon (Roast Pork Stew)

Ingredients:

Roasted Pig Head or chinese crispy skin roast pork
1 cup of soy sauce
3 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp black peppercorns
4 bay laurel leaves ripped into equal pieces
1 cup of vinegar
1 cup of brown sugar
1 bottle of Mang Tomas All Purpose Lechon Sauce
2-4 cups of water to cover meat
Dash MSG to taste (optional)
Dash fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Salt to taste

Instructions:

Chop pig head or crispy skin pork and place in large pot, put all ingredients in and cover. Bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until pork is tender. For this dish I used my trusty pressure cooker and cooked it for 15 minutes. It got done real fast. When it's done you may adjust the taste by adjusting the sweet and sour of the sauce by either adding sugar and or vinegar. The meat will roll off of the skull and bones. Separate meat from bones and discard before serving. Eat with hot steamed rice.

Serves 4-6















Enjoy!! :9

btw this isn't for the faint of heart... ;)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hi! this made me wanna cry almost...i miss this so much. thanks for this great classic Pinoy dish...

Reggie Nelmida said...

hiya drstel!! i never thought anybody would comment on a pighead dish!! LOL only filipinos can appreciate this kind of good eats! :D thanks for stopping by! :)

Reid said...

Hi Reggie,

I was going to comment when I saw this, but I had to think about what I wanted to say.

I'm glad you did something like this because in all honesty, I don't ever think I knew what the pig's head would be used for. I have much admiration for the Filipinos because they seem to have no fear of using animal parts that the rest of us have no desire to use.

That said, this looks interesting enough that it might warrant a taste at some point. Whether that happens or not would depend on if I can find it as well made as this looks.

Reggie Nelmida said...

hi Reid,

you should try paksiw with chinese cripsy roast pork instead. it comes out the same but without seeing the ears or snout! lol :D the women of my family actually rather have that instead but the men love it, its kinda a macho caveman thing i guess! go figure! :D bottom line is that this dish is just simmered sweet sour cripsy skin pork! :)

jai said...

hey!!!...just wanna say i love your blog!!!...are you a filipino?....i wanna bookmark your blog for future reference on the recipes.... =D

Reggie Nelmida said...

yes im full blooded filipino... hehehe :) ilocano from my dad's side, visayan from my mom's and kapampangan from my wife! lol good sari-sari eh! :D

jai said...

hey!!...dats cool reggie,,,my mom is from the visayas...bacolod to be specific,,,,but my father is samoan...


i havent cooked any of your recipes but i mite try the zippys fried chicken ala kau2...lol....


take it ez then...