Friday, August 05, 2005

Pork with Eggplant Ong Choy















Aurora had a late lunch so when I got home I ate a quick snack of leftovers for an early dinner. She had mentioned that she was full and I assumed from her reply that she wasn't hungry enough for me to cook dinner. Tonight was my free night since she didn't have any night classes. At about 8:30pm she looked at me with puppy dog eyes and mumbled she was hungry. So finally, after coaxing me I headed for the kitchen. I had frozen pork, eggplant and ong choy in the refrigerator. I whipped up the dish in about 30 minutes tops. We ate it with nutty brown rice.

Here is my recipe.

Ingredients:

2 lbs pork, cut crossgrain into slivers
2-3 Tbsp patis or fish sauce (nuoc mam)
2 Tbsp canola oil
4-6 cloves garlic, crushed and minced fine
1 round onion, cut into thin wedge slices
3 long japanese eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch diagonal pieces
1 bunch ong choy (swamp cabbage), cut into 2 inch pieces of leaves and stems
1 tomato, cut into thin wedge slices
1 bay laurel leaf, ripped in half
Dash black pepper
Dash MSG (optional)

Instructions:

Heat oil in wok on high heat.
Add garlic, onions and bay leaf. Do not burn garlic. Fry till translucent.
Add pork and stir fry until dry and browned well.
Add tomatoes.
Add eggplant.
Add ong choy.
Add patis.
Season with pepper and MSG to taste.
Stir-fry on high, then lower heat.
Cover and steam simmer until eggplant and ong choy are soft and tender.
Serve with rice.

Serves 4

Enjoy!!

No comments: