Sunday, July 24, 2005

Fast N Easy Loco Moco















Today while checking out TSOGB, Santos made some ono looking Loco Moco. http://scentofgreenbananas.blogspot.com/2005/07/loco-moco.html

It brought back memories of growing up in Kalihi. Early before school started we'd go to the local okazuya and buy mini plate lunches or bentos. Loco Moco would be one of the favorites for me and my siblings. My version is not visually appealing as Santos's version but it hits the spot of any construction worker's appetite. hehehe :) Sloppy but ono and filling!!

I used what we had in the cupboard and fridge like mushroom soup, ground beef and whole wheat bread. It takes about 15 minutes to prep, cook and serve. This is what we had for dinner tonight. My wife was so full she couldn't finish her serving. So I had more for me!! :D Tomorrow is back to my lo carb diet. So I gotta enjoy now. :P

Here is my recipe.

Fast N Easy Loco Moco

Ingredients:

1 lb Ground beef
5 Eggs
1 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Originals Blend spice mix
2 pinches Hawaiian salt or coarse sea salt
Dash cracked ground pepper (or to taste)
1 Tbsp finely minced garlic
2 slices whole wheat bread, food processed into crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
1 8 oz can mushroom soup
4 Tbsp butter
3 oz Shaoxing wine or whiskey
1 Tbsp canola oil
2-4 cups cooked brown rice.









Instructions:

Mix together ground beef, onion, garlic, breadcrumbs and 2 eggs in a bowl. Mix well and add Mrs. Dash and spices and set aside. Follow instructions on mushroom soup can and add to saucepan. Whisk soup to blend well. Roll hamburger and form into patties and fry in canola oil. Brown and cook well on both sides till well done. Cook longer if you want it a bit crispy on the edges. Deglaze frying pan with butter and wine. Scrap bits well and pour into mushroom soup and stir. Crack remainder of eggs into nonstick frying pan. Fry sunnyside up.
Arrange plate with a generous layer of brown rice and 2-3 patties of hamburger.
Spoon over mushroom soup gravy. Slide sunnyside up eggs onto mushroom soup dredged patties and add more mushroom gravy soup over.
Great with soy sauce and tabasco sauce.

Serves 2














Sloppy but ono!! :)

I posted the recipe for a serving of 2, but it might actually serve 4 depending on the size of the person. hehehe ;)

3 comments:

santos. said...

*3* eggs and a meat patty big enough for them to sit on??? i'm gonna pass out just looking at this

Reid said...

Hi Reggie,

WOAH! That looks....well....I don't think I could eat that all myself either!

LOL!

BTW...looks like you've been catching up on your posts. I stopped by and said how long was I gone....

Gonna play catch up this week!

Reggie Nelmida said...

hi santos and reid!

yah yah i know... its typical hawaii plate lunch style smothered in gravy with rice and then you get sleepy from the quick glucose rush of the rice and gravy aka "hawaiian stroke" lol well I didn't eat that for a long time. hehehe hmmm only thing missing is the mac salad! LOL