Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Kapampangan Style Pochero by Aurora















Pochero is a classic Filipino stew which can feature as many kinds of meat as the cooks’ imagination can master from pork, beef, chicken, with spicy chorizo sausage or even shrimps with green beans, cabbage and other selected vegetables within a creamy tomatoey rich spicy gravy stew. (my wife is cringing right now because of my grammar! lol :D)

I think my wife has only pork, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and onions to cook. No stringbeans this time. And my wife opted out for the carrots.

My wife is home and she told me this morning before I was going to leave for work that she was going to cook "Pochero". So I smiled and took out a slab of pork to thaw from the freezer.
She just called and is boiling the pork and all the vegetables have been prepped. :)

This will be my wife's first solo cooking gig! :)

The pochero is done now. It's almost quitting time. woooo hooooooo gonna try some ono*** pochero!! :9 mmmmmmm

I got home and tried my wife's first main dish!! It was soooo delicious!!! so ono so sarap!! :9
I was suprised yet I wasn't. My wife knows how Kapampangan style is supposed to be like even though back in the Phils she was spoiled and never cooked. She only ate! lol :)

Here is her recipe:


INGREDIENTS

1 pound pork, cut into 2x2 inch cubes
1 large onion, sliced into wedges
10 garlic cloves chopped and minced fine
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 8 oz can evaporated milk
6-8 large potatoes, cut into chunks
1 round head cabbage cut into wedges
1 bay leaf ripped in half to release flavor
optional MSG to taste
1-2 Tbsp patis fish sauce or nuoc mam
optional 1 hot chili pepper minced to make it spicy
cracked black pepper to taste

Place meat into a large pan and cover with water. Add sliced onion, salt, pepper and bayleaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour until meat is almost tender.
In another pan, heat a small amount of oil, fry garlic and chopped onion until golden brown. Add tomato sauce and cook to heat it through. Add sauce to simmered pork together with potatoes. Add milk. Simmer until potatoes are half-cooked, then add cabbage for the last few minutes. Add patis. Add chili pepper to make it spicy.

Serve dish with steamed rice. I prefer cold rice so I can enjoy the dish!! mmmmmm!! :9 sarap sarap!! ono!!!
Makes 6 servings





Btw the pot isn't as full as it supposed to be coz we already ate some of it! hehehe :D


***Note: Hawaiian word "ono"=delicious=masarap=oishi etc.

No comments: