Friday, July 22, 2005

Low-Carbing etc.

It's been about a couple of months or so of watching "Blaine's Low-Carb Kitchen" on FitTV.
http://fittv.discovery.com/fansites/blaine/blaine.html

My wife and I love the show. Eliminating high carb products from our diet was difficult at first but we managed to curve our temptations. We've been eating brown rice and whole wheat bread and saying bye-bye to Hinode Calrose rice and good ol' white bread for sandwiches keeping it down to 20g of total carbs per day.

Oatmeal and Special K is prepared by my wife for us and we've even gone onto meal replacement protein shakes. We'd eat low carb for a whole week and get a free day on Sundays so my wife can indulge on ice cream, pasta and burgers. lol :)

Blaine recommends these Low-Carb Substitutions:

  • soy flour for wheat flour
  • artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda) for sugar
  • cauliflower for rice and potatoes
  • pork rinds for bread crumbs
  • spaghetti squash for pasta
  • lettuce leaves or flatbread for bread (for with sandwiches)
  • cheesecake for pie
  • celery for snack crackers (use with dips, peanut butter or cream cheese)
  • heavy cream for milk
We've used celery, beef jerky, pork rinds and cheese slices/sticks as our snacks in between meals. In the past I've made low-carb recipes such as meat loaf, steamed pork hash chinese restaurant style, and pork/shrimp shu mai to satisfy my wife's cravings for meaty type dishes.

Lately been thinking of circular sandwiches or wraps to make. I recall Costco had a good wrap sandwich on a deli platter made with turkey, swiss/cheddar cheese, and cherry creme cheese with romaine lettuce cut into circles (pinwheels). It was so delicious we gobbled them up in a jiffy (my brother and I). My wife has yet to try these. I've been thinking of my own version of the wrap. I'd say our current diet is a combination of Atkins, Protein Power, Carbohydrate Addict Diet, and the Paleolithic or Neanderthin diet.

Also we started a walking program to burn all these yummy dishes. :)

2 comments:

santos. said...

hi reggie! there used to be a little kiosk here that sold adobo wraps, made with pork and/or chicken adobo, and wrapped up in a tortilla--maybe you can try something similar for your wife to try, i think she'd like it.

Reggie Nelmida said...

hiya santos! ooooooo!! dat sounds so sarap!! we bought wheat tortilla wraps! tenks for d idea! :)