Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Spicy Pork Kaldereta















Tonight's dinner was supposed to be Pork Guisantes which is a local Hawaii favorite made famous by the Filipino Ilocano immigrants that settled here to work here during the sugar and pineapple plantation years. You can't go to a local filipino party without seeing at least this typical dish. But because my pimentos turned bad in the fridge I decided on the next best thing which was Kaldereta. Kaldereta is originally a goat stew made with tomato sauce, potatoes, spices, liver spread, olives, bell peppers and hot peppers. Originally adapted from the Spanish during their 200 year occupation of the Philippines.
Variations of this dish is with beef, chicken and or pork. Beef Kaldereta is a common dish in the Philippines made with stewing cuts of beef simmered until tender. Another is with chicken or pork because of the price and availability. I opted for pork since I had a 3lb slab in the freezer. In the original goat stew version, the meat was marinated in vinegar to tone down the gamey smell and taste of the goat. My dad would also use baking soda before the marinade to take away as much of the odor as possible. My version of the dish uses cooked chicken livers pureed in my food processer. You can buy canned liver spread available in some grocery stores as a substitute. I usually make a big batch and freeze away portions for future use.
In all my life in Hawaii I've never experienced any local Ilocano cook this dish. I've tasted this dish in the Philippines when I was courting my wife and in southern California at a filipino restaurant which wasn't run by Ilocanos but by Tagalog filipinos. Aurora's dad makes the best kaldereta I've ever tasted. When Au got here she wanted me to cook her this dish and I first made it with beef brisket. It came out so wonderfully rich. Enough to clog arteries and raise your cholesterol level. But heck it was worth it!! :D It was onolicious or masarap!! I now gauge every kaldereta dish by Tatang's (my father-in-law) Kapampangan style for the just right amount of heat and flavor. Pampangan Cuisine is the best of all filipino food. Most upper scale filipino restaurants in the mainland and in the Philippines are owned and cooked by Kapampangan chefs.

Here is my version with pork.

Spicy Pork Kaldereta

Ingredients:

3-4 lbs boneless pork butt shoulder, cut in 2x2 inch chunks or smaller if you prefer
2-3 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp canola oil
6-8 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed and minced fine
1 whole round onion, peeled and cut into wedges
8 oz of boiled chicken livers, food processed to a paste
3-4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2x2 chunks--set aside in water to prevent turning brown
1-2 serrano, jalapeno, or thai chili pepper cut into thin slices with seeds or subsitute with tabasco sauce to taste.
1 Tbsp white vinegar
3 bay laurel leaves, ripped in half
1 Tbsp sugar or Splenda
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
enough fresh water to cover pork
Dash Hawaiian or kosher rock salt to taste
Dash fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Dash MSG to taste (optional)

Instructions:

Cut pieces of pork and wipe with paper towels to remove excess water. Set aside.

Crush garlic and minced fine. Cut onion into wedges. Heat oil in pot and saute garlic and onions with bay leaves. As garlic browns and onions turn translucent add pork and continue to brown until the pork gets slightly crispy. Add tomato paste and incorporate well. Add liver paste and continue to cook. Add vinegar. Add enough water to cover pork. Bring to a boil then simmer low until pork becomes tender.

In a separate frying pan heat oil and fry potatoes until a little bit crispy on the edges. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

When pork is almost tender add potatoes and continue to simmer more. Add chili peppers or tabasco sauce. Add salt, black pepper and MSG to taste. Add sugar, butter and soy sauce to taste. The longer the slow simmer the richer the sauce will become. The next day of eating this dish will always be more tastier since the flavors infuse the meat and potatoes.
Serve with hot steamed white rice. Fragrant Jasmine rice is perfect for this!
Serves 4















I served it with our brown rice as usual.

Enjoy!!

Let's kaukau!!

8 comments:

santos. said...

whoo, my family's from pampanga too :)

Reggie Nelmida said...

woooohooo!! no wonder you have the skills, talent, and creativeness in your presentations!! :) me imma jus throw-everything-together-and-let's-eat-kinda-guy! LOL :D

Reid said...

Hi Reggie,

I rarely eat Filipino food, but you make it look and sound so delicious. I'm going try some of these recipes sometime.

Thanks for sharing!

Reggie Nelmida said...

sup Reid,

If you eat filipino try going to the Golden Coin at Walmart's Kapiolani location. You're not going to be suprised with any secret ingredient(s). hehehe :) And if you goto Vegas or No. or So. Cali check out Goldilocks, Red Ribbon, and Jolibees. it's the normal standard of filipino cuisine you can't find here in Hawaii.

Anonymous said...

Hey Reggie - Thanks for the recipe - I think I'll try this soon. I love Kaldereta and hamanado(sp?), especially the one at my favorite Turo-turo joint down here in San Diego. The people working there have to always make sure that I really want what I'm ordering, though!

Reggie Nelmida said...

no probz Kirk! enjoy the recipe and try it with either boneless pork shoulder butt or beef brisket!! for the meatlovers in us!! :D

Anonymous said...

Reggie, your home cooking always makes my mouth water! I stay hungry again. lol.. Filipino food is my weakness!

Reggie Nelmida said...

yups me too!! i'll keep posting!! :D