Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Hong Nien

Last night my family and I went to Hong Nien in Kalihi on King Street. We've been there many times in the past and the food is always quality Cantonese cuisine and great service. We had the Dinner for 4 Special for under $40 which included:

  • PepperSalt jumbo prawns
  • Eggplant Szechuan with garlic meat sauce
  • Sweet & sour fish filets with pineapple and bell peppers
  • Half crispy skin chicken
  • Mongolian beef
  • Chicken and velvet corn soup
  • Steamed white rice

ala carte:

  • Oyster sauce chicken on crispy cake noodle

  • and also complimentary oolong tea.

The atmosphere when we arrived there was a little crowded but there were enough tables to seat four of us. This place is one of my brother-in-law's favorite Chinese restaurants to go to as well as mine. Over the years they have been very consistent in their quality, freshness and service. The prices are still very reasonable and affordable for a family style restaurant despite the raised prices at other Chinese restaurants in Hawaii. Hong Nien is still a great value and hidden treasure in my book. I didn't have my digital camera last night but I'll post some the next time. I'm drooling just thinking about the crispy skin chicken!! mmmmm :9

Other patrons of the restaurant were having other delicious entrees and it was driving us crazy while waiting for our food to be served to us. I could hear the wok sounds in the kitchen as the chef clanged away with his spatula. In about 10 minutes we had our chicken and velvet corn soup arrive, then the mongolian beef and oyster sauce chicken cake noodle with steamed white rice and we hit it immediately. A while later the remainder of our entrees came in waves. The prawns, the sweet sour fish, the eggplant and finally crispy chicken! My wife, her sister and my brother-in-law stopped talking as we quickly filled out plates with the yummy food. It was so wonderful a meal after shopping at Sam's Club on Kapiolani. We drove home full and satisfied. A great place to kaukau!! :)

No comments: